Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Some of Japanese custom of new year

I often recieve mails that they enjoy to know about Japanese culture. So I explain some of Japanese culture about the new year.

Oomisoka means the day before 1st of Jan, and Ganjitu means 1st of January.
And Gantan mean between the night of Oomisoka and the morning of Ganjitu.
And we spend to be watching tv program that is called Kouhaku-Utagassen and Yukutoshi-Kurutoshi at night of Oomisoka. I had a work Kohaku, so I couldn't spend with my family at Oomisoka.
Hatsuhinode is the first sunrise of the year. It's happy thing that we can watch Hatsuhinode, so we go to watch Hatsuhinode. But I didn't go this year.
And Hatumoude is the first prayer of the year. So we went temple to pray something at Gantan or the next day of Gantan. I went near temple and I prayed and wished my children grow up well.
And Osechi is a name of dishes for new year. There is a custom not to cook for mother's rest between 1st and 3rd in January. So mothers prepare Osechi before the new year, and we eat only Osechi between 1st and 3rd in January. But acutually I hate to have same foods for 3 days , so we have some other foods :)
Koma and Tako are familiar with play of new year. Playing Tako need large space without electric wires, therefore it's a little difficule to play Tako around my house. My sons played that at my wife's parent house, and this morning my elder son was playing koma with his classmates at preschool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great post :) and thanks for all the wiki links - I've got a lot of extra reading to go and do now ;)